Spondylosis - cause, symptoms, alternative treatment
Tell me, do these describe you? You feel pain on your neck area. The pain spreads from your neck down to your arms. Or are you having lower back pain? The aforementioned are few symptoms of spondylosis.If you experience these, then you should immediately consult a doctor for proper diagnosis.
Spondylosis is a degenerative disorder that affects the spine. Another name for this is spinal osteoarthritis. The primary cause for this disorder is ageing. As people age, cartilages and bones may suffer from excessive wear and tear. Because of this, the discs of the spine lose their cushioning effect between the bones, ligaments weaken, and the bones develop spurs.Different levels of the spine can be affected by Spondylosis, making the symptoms of this condition vary depending as to what level is affected. The following are the symptoms:
- If your cervical or neck area is affected, you will most likely suffer from:
- Neck pain.
- Tenderness or numbness of the neck.
- Often having neck or shoulder stiffness after getting out of bed.
- Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors. This is a new generation of drugs that are being used for spondylosis. It has been proven effective in blocking TNF that causes inflammation.
- Pain that is not limited to your neck. It spreads down to your shoulders, arms, hands, or fingers.
- Neck, shoulder, arm, hand, or finger suffers from weakness or tingling.
- Having headache on the back your head.
- o Decrease in ability to balance yourself.
- For thoracic or mid-back area spondylosis, the symptoms are as follows:
- Pain in the upper and middle area of your back.
- Extending and bending of the body (specifically the back) causes pain.
- Disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) will ease pain not only on the pelvis and spine but also on other joints of the body.
- Often times, having mid-back stiffness after getting out of bed.
- Lumbar or lower back symptoms include:
- Pain that come and goes.
- After having an exercise of just by resting, the pain decreases.
- Suffering from low back stiffness when getting out of bed.
- Numbness or tenderness of the lower back area.
- Experiencing weakness or numbness of the low back area, legs, or feet.
- Having difficulty with walking.
- Feeling pain on the legs.
There are different treatment options for spondylosis, one being alternative medicine. This form of treatment may either complement or become an alternative to western and conventional medicine.
- SAMe - effective in treating problems that occur due to wear and tear.
- Devil's claw - a known arthritis treatment. It has anti-inflammatory properties that work to soothe the symptoms.
- Ginger - similar with Devil's claw, this herb works to address inflammation caused by the disorder.
- Massage. Having the proper massage will help ease tight muscles that surround the
- spine. This will reduce the pain brought by the disorder.
- Yoga or Pilates. Doing this form of exercise will relax both the body and the mind. In this
- way, you will be aiding your core and spinal muscles to strengthen.
So there you have it. Spondylosis has been explained. The causes, symptoms, and even alternative treatments for it have been introduced. Now, it's time for you to utilize this information. Remember, this disorder can be very painful and disabling but with proper knowledge, treatment, and management, you won't let it run your life.